1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Sussex gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by midwestchickenwrangler, Dec 27, 2011.

1. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Here are my Light Sussex little ones. I would like some help guessing the gender at this age. As with other breeds, I know there is only one true way to know. Egg or crow.
    I noticed today that one of the chicks has more black on its tail feathers than the other two. Is this a sign that it may be a roo? The pictures are a little blurry because my daughter wouldn't stop chasing them. The one that I think is a roo is the top picture. His legs are also a little thicker than the other 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    age please also could you get the pics any bigger for better looking at their combs and wattles please also

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    With my light sussex it was easy to tell, he had red comb and wattles by the time he was 4 weeks old.

4. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    They are about 2 weeks old. Their combs and wattles are all about the same size right now, very small but noticeable. None are any more red than another. I will look to see if I see the "pimple" around the vent.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Hard to tell the sex at that age and the pictures but IF the leg color is Yellow like they look in the picture then there not a Sussex.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by