Light Sussex Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by dealhound, Feb 2, 2008.

1. dealhound

dealhound In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    Hello Everyone,

I am interested in obtaining a few light sussex chicks or hatching eggs. The only location that I can find them is the Sandhills preservation, where I would love to buy them, but cannot make the order for 25. I only want less than 10.

If anyone keeps this breed and is able to supply hatching eggs, I would love to obtain some. Please let me know.

Thanks

Tim (dealhound)

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Where do you live? Maybe you could get together with some people and split an order at Sandhill so everyone could get a few.

Oh and WELCOME [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  3. dealhound

dealhound In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    Sorry, I guess that would be important information. I live in Central North Carolina. I will update my profile to show that!

Thanks for the welcome. I have been skulking around for awhile!

Tim

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    No Luck? maybe this will help

5. dealhound

dealhound In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    I do not believe that light sussex chickens are readily available in the US? Might be a good project to get a flock of these going?

Tim

6. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    that would be a good project get the 25 from sandhill and cull the bad ones out and keep a flock of like 15 hens and 2 roo's and you can separate them out into 2 breeding pens and you will have your self a little breeding flock. I wish I could do this with a breed but I cant have roo's here.

Henry

7. dealhound

dealhound In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    You don't think the chicks from Sandhill's might be too closely related to use as a starter for a breeding program? I believe it might be good to get some roo's from elsewhere, although I am not sure where. England would be great! Lots of them there.

Tim

8. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    your probably right I guess you should try and find some one who has already imported stock or pay big $$$$$ to get them here.

Henry

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think you would do fine to start a flock with Sandhill birds. You could talk to the owners and I am sure they will let you know the history. When I talked to them they were very open about what was both good amd bad about certain breeds.

You could breed for a while and if you noticed lower fertility rate you could then seek some "new blood" to intigrate into your flock.
    Good Luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: