Light Sussex help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moodlymoo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I am about to go look at a bunch of 6 week old Light Sussex chicks that are labeled as straight run. I am thinking at 6 weeks old I should be able to accurately sex these chicks myself. I need tips and hopefully pics from all you here to help me make a good choice.

What should I be looking for?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I don't know anything about light sussex in particular but you should be able to tell by comb development on any bird (except silkies) at that age. Just pick the ones that have the smallest and palest combs if you want pullets. Stay away from any of the chicks that have pink/red on the comb.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if you could post pics off of a phone we might be able to help. as far as telling i would think the bigger the combs are then those would be roos. you can also try the leg sexing thing on them as i have read that roos have bigger thicker legs than the hens (i have had roos with smaller legs than the pullets though until they got more mature). you could attemp looking at the hackle feathers but at 6 weeks they pretty much wont be any help but the roos will have long slinder pointed ones while the girls will be rounded. pretty much at 6 weeks i would i be comparing the combs

4. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have light sussex and by the time the were 4-5 weeks old it was very obvious what i had. The roo's had large combs and wattles and their face had started to turn red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by