Light Sussex in winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pierrea, Nov 5, 2016.

1. pierrea

pierrea Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    Sweden
    Hi

I got 2 light sussex in my backyard and was wonderring what's the lowest temperature they can take?
    They live wind and rainfree.
    Where i live (Sweden) we can get cold winters.
    Please help

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

As long as they have a dry, draft-free coop, they should be able to withstand down to -20 degrees. If it's just two of them, they will most likely need a little extra heat, but not a whole lot. See if you can find an infared heat lamp; they give off heat, but the chickens can't see much of that light, so they can sleep at night.
    Here is a link: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/11/surviving-winter-with-chickens.html This lady has tons of chicken expierience, so if you've got a question, she's probably got the answer [​IMG]
    Good Luck!

3. pierrea

pierrea Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    Sweden
    Thanks for the reply. The coldest we get in my city is around -15°C and thst only happens 2-3 times a year. The standard temperatur in winter is -6° C. I think their fine without a heat source until the temperatur goes below -10°C ???.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally heat lamps cause a risk of fire and are best avoided. If you coop is draft free and well ventilated your birds should be fine. If they roost you can tack a towel to the post. Chickens like to lay their head over their feet to keep them warm and the towel gives a little extra warmth. I'm afraid I don't know the equivalent of Celsius and Fahrenheit.. But chickens can tolerate cold much better than heat.

5. pierrea

pierrea Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    Sweden

The coldestwe get is 5 F and standard wintertemperature is 21 F

6. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there.
    I used to have light Sussex,
    Here in Ireland it dosent get very cold but I remember
    In 2011 we had a bad winter (for here) and it went down to around
    -14 degrees
    None of the Sussex got sick or died.
    All I had was a nice clean straw bedding in their coops.
    Goodluck with it
    Fionn.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by