1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Sussex maybe sick not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kasophia, Apr 26, 2016.

1. kasophia

kasophia New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    I have a light Sussex that I got two weeks ago. We had to drive for an hour from the place that we got her from and I know she might be stressed. She hasnt laid an egg yet. I am brand new to chickens so I am learning as I go. She is definitely at the lower end of the pecking order and I have seen her get a couple of attacks from the dominant hens.
    I have noticed that she is less active then my australorp and bard bantam but she still eats and drinks all the time. After she drinks it looks like she has mucus and sometimes she makes prehistoric snoring type sounds.She honestly seems depressed.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? I dont think she is sick, but she might be.
    Please help

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Noisy, wet breathing can be a respiratory illness.
    She could have brought something with her or be succumbing to something within your flock that she doesn't have immunity too.

Some respiratory diseases can be carried without showing symptoms or causing problems until stress might degrade the immune systems defense capabilities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by