Light Sussex or Light Brahma or cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laurelwill4, Sep 22, 2012.

1. laurelwill4

laurelwill4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Corvallis, OR
    I purchased what I was told were two Light Sussex hens. They have the correct coloring, but they both have light feathering on their legs and feet. They are also both about twice the size of my other hens-1 Plymouth Barred Rock, 1 EE, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. They lay very small light brown eggs. Could they be Light Brahma? or a cross?
    I am posting pictures. Thanks for the help determining what breed I actually have![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JakeBremer

JakeBremer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2012
    Quinlan, TX
    Columbian Wyandanette.

3. laurelwill4

laurelwill4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2012
    Corvallis, OR
    I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Wyandotte's have clean, yellow legs and rose combs. My girls have white legs with light feathering and a single comb. They are also about 1.5 times larger then my Wyandotte. I don't think they are Columbian Wyndottes.

4. That's a puzzler for sure.........

She's not a Light Brahma, as that would mean yellow legs and pea comb. And not a Wyandotte, because, like you mentioned, she would have clean yellow legs and a rose comb. She does seem to be MOST like a Light Sussex, but obviously the feathered legs say otherwise.........So, I'm going to say that they're Light Sussex crosses. Stunning birds though!

~~~Ms.B. :)

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They look like Light Sussex (coloring and pink legs) crossed with Light Brahma (pea"ish" comb, coloring, and lightly feathered legs).

6. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Exactly what I was thinking.

7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    sussex/brahma... Comb doesnt look pure straight comb, light leg feathers

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a mix...is there slight feathering on the legs? it looks like it does

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by