Light Sussex Sexing! UPDATE Feather Pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BLaBauve, Jun 20, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    UPDATED FEATHER PICTURE BELOW THE FIRST SET.

These Light Sussex chicks are 5-6 weeks old. Can anyone help sex them? There are 3 chicks.

Chick Number 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick Number 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick Number 3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

JUNE 24 UPDATE:

I am updating this with feather pictures. Chick number 1 seems to have very distinct pointy feathers. The other 2 have much more rounded feathers. Is this any indication that Chick 1 is a roo, and the others are pullets??

Chick 1 Feathers:

[​IMG]

Chick 2 & 3 Feathers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Number one looks a little boyish to me, but the others I think are girls. They are so pretty!

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I hope other people think the same! I'd be very happy with 2 girls and 1 boy!

4. anniem

anniem Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    I don't know how similar speckled are to light, but my SS boy (supposed to be pullet [​IMG]) was very very boy by 6 weeks. Seemed like it was practically overnight, but very obvious by amount of comb.

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think the first one is a boy and the second is a girl, but not sure about the 3rd. The third doesn't have as much comb as the first but still bigger than the second one.

6. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Yeah, the 3rd one is a mystery to me. I thought by now I'd be able to know their sex for sure. I also have a 4th chick that still hasn't grown feathers. . . it's so weird and creepy looking. I hope it will catch up eventually.

7. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    anyone other thoughts? seems like a slow night on BYC

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have only 3 (started out with 4). I just can not recall at what age they were, but it was very young (seems like 3 weeks or so), when it was easy to tell the difference. That is why I did not reply to your thread. Since yours all look the same, I am thinking they are all the same sex. [​IMG]

Good luck!

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    They do look very similar. But the first one really seemed more rooish than the others. I'm just hoping for 1 girl!

10. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Number 2 is def a girl the other two I can't be 100% sure at this stage could both be boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by