Light Sussex trio showing differences after one month...

iananderson

Chirping
Mar 31, 2014
Close to the beach in Asker, Norway
Hiya,
We bought three Light Sussex "pot luck" hens as day olds. Now they are a month old and after coming home after a few days away, finally I see something that separates them visually (darker and larger comb).

Since being a few days old the chicken in the photo with the darker comb has been the number one chicken to come onto your hand and it is by far the most confident of the bunch we bought (three Light Sussex and three Norwegian Jærhøns).

I think we have two hens and a rooster, what do you think? I'll be sad because it's my favorite, but we are in a rooster free zone.....

Unfortunately, I think you have two cockerels and one pullet (the one in the middle).

Don't feel too badly about the "pet" being a cockerel. At this age "friendliness" is often an early sign of aggression. When I'm choosing cockerels to keep, I specifically do not choose the "friendly" one.

If you're going to kill them yourself you may as well eat them. What a waste to feed them to the worms! They will be delicious. Just hide them in the freezer for a while so the kids won't know. Do the deed when the kids aren't there.

I think you have two cockerels, one pullet. One of the cockerels is just developing faster than the other.

Last edited:
hmm.png
That's interesting as I also originally thought that we'd got two cockerels based on the development of the neck feathers/colouring, but when the bold 'friendly' one developed the darker comb.......I guess the optimist in me wanted to prove me wrong!

Thanks for your thoughts, as they say time will tell!
Ian

Just an update. Looks like you guys were right, not that I doubted you!

They are 'squaring up' to each other all the time now so it's time to find an alternative home for them. It's a shame as I know that realistically they'll end up in someones pot, such is the life of an 'illegal' roo I suppose!

If no one wants them (likely in this neck of the woods) and because the kids would never forgive me if I served them at our own table, does anyone have any clever uses for ex chooks? Currently I am favoring the 'dispatch and plant' alternative I read recently, where you dig deep, bury the carcass and then plant a new rose/bush/tree etc on top so the erm, rotting carcass provides rich nutrients for the new plant.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom