Light Sussex - Updated pics on pg.2: post 16

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stevin, Aug 5, 2010.

1. stevin

stevin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i just picked up 3 10 week old light sussex pullets(according to the breeder). would anyone have any pics of light sussex chicks/pullets around the same age.
    unfortunately he sold all his roos a week ago and didn't have any show me the difference in comb size. he mentioned that the combs & wattles on the young roos were huge in comparison to the pullets, 2-3 times larger. the pullets do do have a pinkish comb and wattles at 10 weeks. do the light sussex breed develop slightly faster than other breeds?
    again, if anyone has any pics of their light sussex i would love to see them!!!! i'll try to post pics of mine later today...

here are the pics, let me know what you think about these alomost 11 week old light sussex, pullets or cockerals?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanx,
    stevin

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. stevin

stevin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    bump....just inserted the pics...

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hmmm for some reason they look more like roos. I hope I am wrong. The combs just seem a little large for a pullet that age and they are already getting wattles. My hens have cleaner faces.
    However, they are nice looking birds!

4. HickoryGuy

HickoryGuy Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    Someone with more experience with this breed can give you a better answer..... That being said, I've got some that are about 20 weeks old. To me, these all look like pullets. My roos--all 7 of them--have distinctively darker & larger combs. Also, these look about the size that my females looked. But like I said, that's just me going by my limited first-hand experience.

5. stevin

stevin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i'm split right down the middle here
    1 vote for all roos & 1 vote for all pullets
    anyone else?
    hickoryguy, would you have pics of your birds at that age and now?

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I couldn't see the pic of the one in the back very well. Are the wattles and comb a different size (by much) than the other 2? I only have pics of the adults so I am working from memory. I hope you have 2 pullets and a Roo!

7. HickoryGuy

HickoryGuy Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    Quote:Sorry, no [​IMG] Give it about 10 more weeks and you'll know for sure! If one starts getting alot bigger than the others, it's probably a roo. Some of the roos can get pretty big.

To me, the light pink combs are what says "pullet." That's the way mine still look. My boys have much darker bright-red combs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  8. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the 10 week old Light Sussex I got from a breeder a few months ago, but yours all like like pullets. The breeder had told me that at that age there was no mistaking a rooster. I'm guessing that you would see a marked difference in the combs of any of your birds if they were roos already.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I'm going to say they are all Pullets.

Not a very good pic, but that's about an 8 week old Rooster.
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get you some pics of the Roosters and Pullets together, they around 10-11 weeks old now.

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I think one of the things that makes me wonder is the wattles are fairly red on the birds. My pullets just aren't red like that when they are that young--they are pink and their combs didn't really pop out very much for awhile.

I do have a few pics of (what I am hoping to be) a Coronation from the breeding of two of my LS. Look at her comb. She was only about 8 weeks here I believe... see the almost non existent comb and wattles. She is about 5 months now I think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is about 5 months now I think and her comb only now resembles the 11 week olds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Genetically she should be about the size of her parents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh I found a few when mine were younger--You will have to guess the age as I don't know

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by