1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light vs Coronation Sussex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LolaBlue, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    My broody is currently sitting on eggs (which are hatching as I type, I'm trying to be good and leave her alone!!) and there is a Light Sussex and a Coronation Sussex egg under her.
    Just wondering if there is any way to tell them apart when they are younger?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I looked thru a TON of pictures on Google Images, and it looks like the chicks for both varieties hatch out yellow/white. So, I'm guessing you're going to have to grow them out to tell the difference. I don't know much about Sussex though, so my reply will at least bump your thread. Then maybe someone more knowledgeable about the breed will see it. Good luck with your new fuzzies!
    Nikki

3. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    [​IMG]

By about one week you should see a little black on Light Sussex chicks' wings.
    Five or six days old above. This chick is a Light Sussex crossbred (Silkie is not the biological mother) but the wing detail is consistent with a purebred.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks so much for the replies! Will be interesting to see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by