Light weight geese recommendations

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AliciaM, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Can someone recommend a light weight geese breed for me? I need something reasonably small, and not too awful loud. I have a 5 year old daughter and numerous pets.. horses, chickens, dogs, etc..

I was looking at some of the more rarer species, but they are a bit out of my price range..Mainly because I dont want as many as the minimum order is..

Im in washington state and travel to the Yakima area often from western washington.. so if anyone has any breeder referals, that would be great also....

Thanks.

2. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    I know the feeling, I am in love with cotton patch geese but having a hard time with the minimum order and price per bird, [​IMG]
    good luck!

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Tufted Romans are light and nice. They have blue eyes too. I had two years ago. Calm and a bit regal for smaller geese about 10-12 lbs.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I'll second Tufted Roman. I have one and I'll be getting more this year. They are lightweight, not very loud, and very sweet. I love my Olivia.

Laurie

5. AllthingsG

AllthingsG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Roman Tufted hands (or webbed feet) down.

6. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Thanks for the info... I was looking at roman tufted also.. Im trying to see if anyone in washington sells them.. so I dont have to have them shipped... specialy since I only want 2.. maybe 3.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Ah, you must have been the local that I e-mailed on CL with the info about the feed store in Graham. they're the only one I know of around here that carries Goslings, the other's all say they just don't have enough demand for them... GHM is almost always sold out until the end of the season when they have a few that hang around fro a while.

They wouldn't have to be shipped to you if you bought them from there and they're about $10/ea... I special ordered 2 female White Chinese last year and they were only $15/each, so it's also pretty fair if you're looking for a pair or just girls. All the goslings I bought there were also very healthy. They are also pretty good about letting you know arrival dates for certain breeds when they start getting them in, they were very patient with me last year! I was beyond excited for my WC babies.

8. AliciaM

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    That was me.. thanks for the information.. I will keep them in mind if I cant wait and end up ordering some.. I found a local breeder of pilgrims, so am thinking of them also..
    Ive got call ducks hatching now and sometimes forget that its still "winter".... I gotta learn to be patient...

9. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    If I were you I'd place an order even if it is larger then you wanted with a great farm. I highly recomend Metzer Farms. And order a few more then you want and then sell the few you don't want to keep. It will help cover your cost invested and give you the choice on who you want to keep rather then the two someone hands yous.

I feel that geese all have different personalities and you wouldn't let someone hand you a puppy.....you would want to pick the one you want out of the few to choose from.

Also what you read about a breed and then experience for yourself.....can be different. And it will give you the ability to see what traits you like best.

Just my two cents. But what ever you choose enjoy your baby's [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by