Light with heating pad?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michiele, Jul 30, 2011.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    We have 4 new baby chicks. We are using a heating pad to heat the brooder. The chicks have done great all day - don't seem too hot or too cold. Since we are using a heating pad, we don't have a light set up right now. They are in the brooder, in the dining room. My question: Do they need a light on at night or can we just leave all the lights off?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Many people say light on at night..I for one say no light! Think about it: if they were with a broody hen, there would be no light at night. Just make sure they can see to eat EARLY, like if they were with a hen and got up with the sun. BTW, I too use a heating pad...but mine is only for a few days till I feel they can run around the brooder under a light without worry... good luck! [​IMG]

3. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I used a 75 watt light bulb and a hot water bottle wrapped in papertowel. Worked great! I changed the hot water once or twice a day. Didnt need the light for long, its been so hot here in TX

pam in TX

4. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    The little ones made it thought the night just fine. I didn't leave a light on - just the heating pad. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by