Light

gaitanm24

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2016
Killeen, Texas
I hope this is the correct place for this. I have a 4' X 8' coop for 14 chickens that are 8 weeks old. Once I moved the chickens to the coop, I followed advice and left them closed in for almost two weeks before ever letting them into the 8' X 12' run. Once we allowed them into the run, they never wanted to go back into the coop! I was having to corral chickens to catch them and put them back. I finally found that turning on a white light at dusk would bring them in! Once in, I lock them up and turn off the light. Will I have to have a light in my coop forever? I do not have electricity in my coop so am having to run a very long extension.

It's pretty common to have to round the kids up at dusk, it takes a while until they will do it themselves, I don't think they are able to process the thought that the coop is the same place that they came out of because it looks different. Go out about an hour before darkness and lock them inside, they will have time to settle in for the night. Your coop might be a bit tight when they all mature, lots of roost options will help.

It was 3 weeks of rounding them up and that got old. I was sweating! Too old for all that. But, I turn on the white light and they practically RUN straight in by themselves.

I have at least 2-6 Roos in that 14 of which 1-5 will be going back to where they came from.

I had to put my chickens up in the coop nightly for about a week before they figured it out. This might sound kind of stupid :) but maybe you could get one of those battery-powered push lights. Oh **** let them come in then click it off. Or you could try offering them a treat to get into the coop itself. I kind of walked mine up the little louder and then gave them a couple meal worms once they got in. Food is a great motivator.

How big is your coop(feet by feet)?
Are there lots of windows for light and ventilation?

Agrees that a battery powered push light is a good idea...if you still need to use a light.

They are young and may take some time(yes, weeks and weeks) to grow good habits.

They are still young but should start going in on there own at dusk soon. I had a problem one night when mine were about that age right after we installed the auto pop door. The door closed (it's on a timer) before they were inside. We were out for the evening but our daughter checked on them after dark and they were stuck outside.

I have to round mine up for months not weeks, they will reach the age of sexual maturity than they become more responsible and concerned about going inside for safety. Around 4-5 months, so don't be surprised if you have to keep doing it. That's your job as the mom, in the absence of a real chicken mom who would do it.

How big is your coop(feet by feet)?
Are there lots of windows for light and ventilation?

Agrees that a battery powered push light is a good idea...if you still need to use a light.

They are young and may take some time(yes, weeks and weeks) to grow good habits.

The coop is 4x8 and quite tall. My husband can stand up inside. There is a window on one end, and another window on the side that has their door. Then we have a large cleaning door for us which is only opened for that purpose.

I have to round mine up for months not weeks, they will reach the age of sexual maturity than they become more responsible and concerned about going inside for safety. Around 4-5 months, so don't be surprised if you have to keep doing it. That's your job as the mom, in the absence of a real chicken mom who would do it.

Thank you! I'll keep working with the extension cord and light for now. Maybe once it is warmer, and we begin to use the windows regularly, then having them open will also bring in more light.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom