Light

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rosawoodsii, Dec 4, 2009.

1. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    A friend of mine (I'll call her D) had three hens. The neighbor's dog broke through her chicken fencing and killed two and injured the third. D has been on the run for about 2 weeks and has not been home, and hasn't dared to leave the chicken outside, even in the pen, so it's been locked in the little coop with no light except what comes through a few cracks. There's no window. D is going to be gone during the day for another 5 days. How is the lack of light going to affect this hen? It can't be good!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Not healthy. Poor thing will be asleep most of the time, get vitamin D deficiency and be lonely. A miserable life for any animal.

3. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Does D have any friends who would have the time to go over and spend time with the hen? Perhaps they could watch for an hour or two a day while the hen plays with a head of cabbage they brought or scratches through some leaves dropped in the run.

4. rosawoodsii

Apr 13, 2009
    I'm going over tomorrow to pick up the hen, probably until spring and a few more chickens to keep her company.

This is so irritating, because if the neighbor would control the dog, there would be no problem! I hate it when people just let their dogs run, even after they've been told. When I lived in Colorado and Utah, no one let their dogs run. They knew it would be a death sentence. Here in Maine people don't seem to get it. Grrrr.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    D is very lucky to have you as a friend! (and so is her chicken)!

With loose dogs, there's no telling what can happen. It's frustrating that people don't take responsibility for their dogs. What if that dog attacked a child? However, safety first...it is always best to make a STURDY & HIGH fence that a dog cannot break through.

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    In Maine ....

Title 7: AGRICULTURE AND ANIMALS
    Part 9: ANIMAL WELFARE HEADING: PL 1987, C. 383, §3 (NEW)
    Chapter 727: DANGEROUS DOGS HEADING: PL 1987, C. 383, §3 (NEW)
    §3951. Killing for assault permitted

Any person may lawfully kill a dog if necessary to protect that person, another person or a domesticated animal during the course of a sudden, unprovoked assault. [1997, c. 690, §34 (AMD).]
    SECTION HISTORY
    1987, c. 383, §3 (NEW). 1997, c. 690, §34 (AMD).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. rosawoodsii

Apr 13, 2009
    D plans to shoot next time she sees the dog on her property. Trouble is, she hasn't been home. I lost two chickens to loose dogs, but didn't have a gun ...unfortunately. One of them actually stood there and growled and barked at me, on my own property!

There are so many people that move here from out of state, and out of the suburbs, and they think it's just fine for Fido to have room to roam. A dead dog is a hard way to learn.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    One of the neighbors dog attacked our chickens, he got away before I could get to the rifle. Our chickens were a bit shook up and three of them were missing their tail feathers. It took four hours to round them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by