Light ???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Miz Mary, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    Do chickens need light in thier coop at dusk, or will they go into a dark coop ??? Not for egg laying purposes, just to see ............

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    If you have kept them in the coop and they are used to roosting in it, they will go back to it automatically and no light is needed. They know when its time to go to roost and allow themselves enough time to find their way around the coop before it gets too dark.

3. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    They are just 5 weeks, and havent been in thier new coop yet ........... in thier cage now they have a heat light that is turned on about dusk and kept on all night .......

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I agree with Lbrad7. When you finally move them out into the coop, you should keep them in the coop for several days before allowing them outside. This way they will want to go where it's familar when it starts to turn to dusk. They are truly amazing creatures!! I think it's wonderful that you're doing your homework before hand [​IMG] Keep up the good work!

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    When I moved my girls into the tractor then outside, I put a small red light to attract them into the coop. The warmth also attracts them, since mine usually go outside in Nov/Dec. Even in N TX it gets in the 30's at nights by then. The coops are about 60 ft from the house, so I use 2 long extension cords to get light out there. Will develop a water proof set up for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by