lightbulb egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LynnGrigg, Sep 28, 2007.

1. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    My white leghorn had been on a laying break for about two weeks and has now laid two that have good shells but both do have grainy shell deposits and both have been shaped as if she had trouble passing them. (like lightbulbs) The eggs are normal size. Any ideas. I hope she does not have some sort of tumor causing this to happen. She's acting normal and passing normal stools. -sorry I didn't take pix. The insides of the eggs were normal also and no double yolks.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

How old is she? Is she a new layer? If so...it could be that she is still trying to get the laying thing down.....is she coming out of a molt? This might cause her to lay sporadically as well. If she is eating, drinking, and poo normal...I wouldnt worry as of yet.

3. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I'm pretty sure she is about a year old. She did fly the coop when I brought her home in June. My dog took her down and she lost her tail feathers the but no was no other obvious significant injury. She began laying first by 2 tiny pullet type eggs and after that - a normal/large egg everyday through July and up to the second week of August. Most of my chickens are about 22 weeks and I have feathers everywhere but no bald chickens. I didn't think chickens had a real molt until about eighteen months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by