Lighten the Mood! What Do You Do for Your Pets at the Holidays?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Nov 30, 2007.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Before I had kids - my pets were my kids! The horses, dogs and cats each got their own stockings. The horses also got 'special' bran mashes with beer and lots of fresh fruits, candy & carrots. The dogs and cats got to share in whatever Christmas dinner was.

What do you guys do for your animals at the holiday season?

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    our 4 dogs all have thier own stocking hung in between mine and DH's right now in thier stockings each one has a brand new tag with thier name and phone number on it, and every year they all get new collars/leashes, they get those pet stockings that wal-mart sells that have treats in them, they also get a basket filled with new toys ( which dont last long - it looks like it snowed in the house agter the tear the toys up to get to the squeaky thing inside ) new bowls if needed.
    this is our first christmas with the chickens so i am thinking of what to do for them ???
    i also have inside birds that get new perches or toys.

and of course the dogs eat holiday dinners with us.

Julie

nope we dont spoil our " kids " at all LOL

3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    My Mollie (dog) gets her own stocking and wrapped presents under the tree. She always opens her own on Christmas morning and it's the funniest thing!

Last year I had one wrapped under the tree for her and left the house for a couple of hours, when I got home she had unwrapped and was chewing on her new toy. How she knew that one was for her, I'll never know!

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    for the dogs, wrap up some type of dog treat in christmas wrapping. it sets in a chair for a month before christmas and drives them crazy but somehow they truly remember not to eat it. then on the day, they get to rip it to shreds which tickles them pink.

on thanksgiving, gave everybody extras and treats. can't say for christmas yet. though i used to even give the wild birds treats for christmas so i guess they will get stuff, too.

i was thinking of doing old fahioned this year and stringing with popcorn and cranberries. hmmm. maybe i should get some next time i go to the store. most of the animals here would definitely like the leftovers from that.

i think my billygoats favorite treat would be banana peels. [​IMG]

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The dogs get stockings with rawhides and toys, the chickens will get mealworms and crickets, and the horses don't know any better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by