Lighting coop to induce egg laying?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 5acresandadream, Oct 31, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    Hi! Newbie here :) I have a question about using artificial light to get my hens to lay. My hens include a few barnyard mutts I hatched out of neighbors eggs this past April, a barred rock hen we found in the work parking lot ( long story lol) and 3 white leghorn hens. My rooster is a gentle buff orphington. The young mutts haven't started laying yet, and my leghorns completely stopped a few weeks ago (they went through a move, they were my mothers and they stopped laying so she didn't want them anymore). Today is day 8 of having a light in my coop, its on a timer and they are getting 18 hours of light a day, because I read in a different thread that is what they should get if they aren't laying. My question is, how long should it take for them to start laying with the help of the lighting? So that I can know if the lighting is the issue or if I have to try something else.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It sounds like your girls have had to move around a bit...chickens don't adapt to changes quickly so give them time to re-settle. Can you give us an idea of what you are feeding your flock? Have your older girls been molting? Is everyone in good health?

There could be reasons other than fewer daylight hours that has caused your older girls to stop laying is what I'm trying to get at. As long as everyone is healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned. Personally, I never used artificial light in our coop...I figure they work hard almost all year long and deserve a rest and they'll lay when they are ready to lay.

Thanks for joining us!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't have an answer to your question about how much time has to elapse before they resume laying more regularly. I do know there is a potential cost to giving the, article light. Also, I understand 14 hours per day is necessary for steady production...unsure what 18 hours does. That and other factors about adding light to the coop are explained in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickens-winter-egg-laying-and-lighting
    Best wishes!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! You have some good advice above and a great link to check out on supplement lighting. I will wish you the very best of luck for the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    Thank you all very much!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!! I love your username! You have gotten great advice and links, so I'll just say hi! :frow

8. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    Lol thank you! I'm glad I finally joined instead of just lurking around without an account haha

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Its great to have you! You have received some wonderful advice so I'll stick around long enough just to say have a great time on BYC and best wishes! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Each hen will only produce so many eggs over her lifetime. If she is kept laying with artificial lighting, she will run out of eggs sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by