1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lighting Coop with No Electricty

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tpottle, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Tpottle

Tpottle Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Southwest Michigan
    I need to get more light in my coop and looking for ideas, plans on how to build battery operated lights cheap ways to increase lighting in a coop that has know electricity

2. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    How about solar?

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing. Unless you could somehow build a wind-charged battery, a battery-powered light would end up being very costly.

4. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Use a 12 volt light(s) for like RV's and hook them up to a car battery. Then get a 12v solar battery charger from Harbor freight to keep the battery charged.

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Why not just put in a big window?

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    we run the heavy duty extension cords out to our coop. looks a bit tacky...but it works... [​IMG]

7. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Run a cord to the hut looks tracky, heck I thought all farm run cords where needed, calf pen,working on tractor,etc. Oh I forgot we redneck in Okie land. Just kidding but on any given day on this ranch you find a cord run somewhere. Right now it's run to a horse trailer with a heat lamp in it and four baby calfs. We had snow to day and in the 20's tonight so we moved them to the trailer yesterday. We own more heavy duty cord then Walmarts I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  8. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] I think we are related somehow!

9. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    If you only need a little bit of light -- get those solar/LED landscape lights at any discount store.

Make holes in the east and south walls so the little solar panels are out in the sun, but the lights project into the coop.

I'm also using some AA battery-operated LED lights in my house. They are set for motion detecting so that our scary staircase lights up when anyone comes out of the bedroom at night. But they can just as easily be set for regular on/off. I got three at Costco for <20 bux. I use rechargeable AA's in them, and they are very bright and last well.

LED technology is fantastic. It draws so little power. It's the way of the future.

10. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by