Lighting for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Simple Chick, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Simple Chick

Simple Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    I have a quick question about night time lighting for chicks...
    My chicks are in a climate controled brooder with a coil heater. The only light in it is a flourescent bulb. I just got them yesterday and last night I turned off the light so it was dark in the brooder. I checked on them a couple times during the night and all of them were asleep and then this morning they were all up and about. They get natural light from the window. I guess I thought that a natural light cycle would be better for them, but should I leave the light on at night so they eat and drink during the dark hours?

2. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not necessary to put on a light at night. I am using an heating light made out of porcelain and it give's of heat. I don't know if this is something that's also avaliable in de US but overhere it's normal to use. most breeders don't even use light anymore so the chicks can get used to day & night.

3. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I just wanted to say one quick thing about raising chicks that you might find useful.

Our family has raised quite a few chickens- most of them Golden Sex Links. (We will soon have 25 Americaunas.) We have never used any kind of special heater, lighting, or anything for our chickens. The first batch of 5 was raised in a old drawer with a screen over the top on our backporch, with a few small holes drilled in the wood for ventilation. On top of the screen was a small section of a 2x4, with a rag over half the screen at night time. That's it. No heaters, no fancy stuff. Right now we raise our chicks in a partitioned-off section of our shed, with merely a brood lamp for warmth. ALL of our chickens are extremely healthy and lay delicious eggs. I'm not saying this will work for you, but it has definetely been great for us.

By the way, Sandra, my family is from the Nederlands as well. I used to live there. Groetjes!

4. Simple Chick

Simple Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Family-
    Thanks for your reply. Initially I had an old kid's swimming pool and a heat lamp and I was so afraid that when I got my chicks they would freeze to death out in the chicken house! My husband's family used to raise ostriches and the morning before I went to pick up my chicks, my husband asked, "I wonder if that old hatcher still works?" TA DA! The Chicken Grand Hilton Resort was born! Being new to the chicken business, I guess it's important for me to remember that lots of chickens have survived without being too pampered! Keep it simple! Thanks for the insight.

5. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Groetjes terug [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by