1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lighting for locked up birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkielover5, Nov 5, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so i have a few chickens that have to be locked up and seperated in our shed (part is a chicken coop) and i was wondering about getting some light bulbs that give off vitamins and wat not that the sun would give them. i have like seperation pens in the back and they do get some light but not enough. then i have bulb sockets in each pen for lighting at night if i need it.
    i was also thinking about doing this for my chickens during the winter. is this a good idea? and if i do that how many hours of the light would they need to keep healthy? they have been in there for 2 weeks and have stopped laying eggs even thoe i take them outside every day for about 2 hours thats why i have been thinking about this. i have 3 birds in there because of a eye infection one had so they have been on quriteen and also because they are white showbirds that i dont want to get dirty this winter with the rest of the flock. then i have 2 rosecombs that are showbirds seperated because i dont want their combs and feathers messed up for this spring. and a egyption rooster that injured his leg. ( with the rosecombs im worried about their combs cause i had a show rooster that got part of his comb bit off by another rooster we have )

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They need 14 hours of light per day for optimum laying. Two hours of natural light per day is way under their requirements.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

3. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    ya i know. alot of judges keep telling me to lock them up over the winter but they do need sunlight so i was thinking about uv lights in their pens. some people have been saying their bad for too much exposure but reptials have them 24/7 and normal light bulbs i dont think would do any good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by