Lighting for winter laying

Mike_g

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
NE South Dakota
Ok, so we are 3 months into the chicken game, and things are going well. We've got barred rocks, Jersey giants, and golden comets. None have laid eggs yet, but I suspect there golden comets will start, sometime this month or next.

We are setting our coop up for the winter months. We'd like to keep the layers going all winter. I read that we'll likely need additional light during winter. The question is:. How much, in terms of wattage and fixtures. We have an 8x8 coop. Do we light the entire coop, or focus over the roosts or other specific area? I'm planning on a timer, so we can efficiently get 15 hours of daylight.

Looking for experiences all across the spectrum, especially those from the frozen North.

I’ve heard most pullets lay through their first winter.

If you insist on winter laying, I’ve heard lights on in morning and let them do sunset naturally. I would think a 60 watt bulb in an 8x8 would be fine.

Just to reiterate though.... fall molting and laying eggs at same time would be rough.

When a hen molts, she will stop laying on her own. And I say hen because pullets won't molt. Usually, hens molt the fall after they turn 12 months or more. And I light my coop in the winter to keep my hens laying. I put an LED bulb in my coop, on a timer to give them a total of about 14-15 hours. I have it turning on in the morning, so they go to roost with the sun going down. In the darkest part of winter here in Ohio, the light will kick on around 3:00 am. It just shines in the coop, not aimed at a certain location. Oh, and you will have to change when the light kicks on because of the sun setting earlier and earlier. Adjust it about 30 mins a week, to ease them into it coming on earlier.

Please let them take a break! They will lay through their first winter, but its unnatural to make them lay through their second, plus there is the risk of setting them into a molt in the middle of winter!!!

Back
Top Bottom