Lighting/ Heat

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kaseywhite, Apr 6, 2012.

1. kaseywhite

kaseywhite Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    My coop and run is 4x8, I was wondering if anybody had some ideas or pictures of how you light/ heat your coop?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where do you live?

3. kaseywhite

Mar 14, 2012
    NE Pennslyvania, I have 3 four week old chicks still in the basement. So im trying to get the coop finished.

4. SuburbanSue

SuburbanSue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Emerson, New Jersey
    I use a 40 watt bulb for light but only when the days started to get shorter, as supplemental lighting to keep them laying, then I weaned off that in February and let them go natural...with the light of the days. Heat...I used either the 250 watt red heat bulb or a 250 ceramic bulb...emits heat, no light. I live in NE New Jersey and didn't have to use the heat too much this year...I only did it when the temperature was like 25 or less. My coop is a bit larger, is like 4 x 6 and totally enclosed. I wrapped it in plastic sheeting for the winter months and we were fine with no harm to to girls. My flock just turned a year old, I was doing the same thing last year as you are doing now...getting the coop ready. You should be fine without heat and light by the time you put yours out, if you wait 'til they are like 6 weeks. If not and your nights are cold maybe a low wattage red heat bulb for them. I wouldnt' worry about heat and light until Fall.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You don't really need to heat the coop. (Unless you have some kind of exotic thinly feathered chicken). The chickens can handle the cold weather. We have people here on this site from Alaska and the mid-west who don't heat their coops with temps below zero. You probably will need to run electric, or at least an extension cord, to power up a water fount warmer in the winter. Look up 'Cookie tin water heater'. That's what I have been using for the last couple of years, works great. I just ran electric out to my coop. I was using a loooong extension cord. The main reason I ran power out to the coop is to power up my electric fence, (That's another story in it self). But now I have an outlet and will soon have an interior light. I'm going to use one of those enclosed outside lights for the coop, Don't want any exposed lightbulbs in there. Those chickens can get kinda rammy sometimes. Looking at your coop, you may want to think about cutting some holes for ventilation. With chickens, ventilation is one of THE most important things. WAY more important than adding heat. Check out the my coop link below. The house is unheated and uninsulated, and the front is wide open year round. The chickens thrive in there.
    Jack

6. kaseywhite

Mar 14, 2012
    Thank you for the great info, Im just trying to complete the coop. So in the winter months i will need 2 lights one for heat and one for light? I bought an outdoor flood light for insde the coop, so i i should buy another?

7. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    In that small coop you don't want to even think about putting a flood light in there, or a heatlamp. You'll end up with fried chicken.
    Jack

8. kaseywhite

Mar 14, 2012
    Thank you Jack, Looking at my coop i will put windows in the gable ends and put chicken wire as screen. Then if its not going to be a problem i will just leave all of them open year round. I will get them installed tomorrow so I will post pictures.

9. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You might want to look into getting hardware cloth for the windows/vents. Predators can easily tear through regular chicken wire. But hey, you're on your way, Good luck with the birds.
    Jack

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah... what he said!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by