lighting ( I know like 50 million people have already asked this question but this is different)

Usually if my hens were laying going in to winter they will lay until December and stop sometime before Christmas. The problem you can have here in the Bay Area is that they won't want to start laying again until April or may if you don't put the lights on.

Mine stopped end of September, I left a red light on to keep their tractor warm but it's not enough light to get the hens laying again. had a random egg about two weeks ago but that was all. Figured I would give the girls a break, then I will hatch some next April or May.

Mine are done. I get one egg every once in a while but not often now. I just put lights on mine yesterday. I still have a group of 14 week old birds that molted and have not layed at all yet. The problem is, is they are reds, tuxedos and a&m so I still have not been able to sex them. They don't have foam and are not crowing now.

Edited - I live in Colorado

Last edited:

Here is my setup. There is a middle divider so I have 2 groups. The tidy cat little bucket works great for the plugs for lights and what not. I just screwed it onto the side of the hutch and notched to corner of the lid to run cords into so they won't be in the snow all winter. The outlet thing is also screwed on the inside of the bucked to the wall I case water does somehow get in there they are not laying on the bottom.

Last edited:
i have a hen and she just started to lay, and i didnt put any light or anything

Back
Top Bottom