Lighting in morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Symphony, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

Winters coming, what amount of light should I put in the coops to increas egglaying. (I already know the period of time)

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I just use a 40watt mini florescent, but it actually only draw the equivalent of a 17 watt, I believe. It works fine and draws less power. Depends on factors like how light absorbent are the interior walls finish, how large the coop is, etc.

3. Symphony

We use LED lights.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I go with the smallest flourescent I can find - I think about 12 watts but I put it at roost height.
    I have to switch to 25 or 40 watt incandescent when it gets closer to zero because the cfl doesn't want to come on.

The idea is to get enough light to barely read a newspaper at roost height. Doesn't have to be bright.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Each coop is obviously different. If you can read a newspaper in there, you have enough light.

6. Symphony

When looking at the front of our coop,it has an opening, it's about 5 and half feet across and 4 and a half feet deep, the hight is about 5 and a half feet.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have heard of some people using just a strand of Christmas lights

8. Symphony

Quote:I'm going to go by your opinion. [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by