lighting in the coop dont want to run electricty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Dec 19, 2008.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i bought small battery led lights how bright do they have to be to be succesful any feedback would be great .

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    succesful at what? Increasing daylight hours,,, illumination,,, heat? What is your goal?

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I have never used led lights but the first year we used solar lights in the coop and it did the trick when i needed to do a head count etc....but there not very bright...right now they're in the horse shelter in the field when i do mucking out in the dark....again it does the trick for picking up poop but again there not really bright cannot check a hoof etc without the flash light etc.......hope i helped...

4. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean about not wanting to run electricity but I gave in.

I had a solar-powered, 5-LED light fixture set up in the coop and it wasn't bright enough.

I found two 25 watt spotlights that clamp onto things at Home Depot for $6.95 and have them hooked up to a timer that goes on at 6am and off at 8am. That's plenty of light for my 4 EEs.

I don't think the two 25 watt lights will draw that much power and it seems to be giving the gals the right amount of light because I just got my first eggs today.

Here's a pic of the clamp light I mentioned:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You won't need the lights on all night to increase egg production. 14 or so hours a day of light is sufficient, and even with 12 hours a day all my girls of laying age are in full lay.

That said, though, note that I am in the mid-South. Northern folks might have more to add about how really cold weather might affect laying.

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    From what I've read, the lighting should be 5 - 10 lux. And, that is sufficient to easily read a newspaper.

The lights should illuminate, especially, what you'd think would be important to a hen - the feed and water (not a newspaper [​IMG]). We all know that they don't have as good of night vision as humans but too much light may cause pecking behavior problems. Bright/bright lighting should be avoided.

The last couple of days, it hasn't been very cold but snow has blown in on the hen's sunporch. They won't come out of their insulated coop. There's no window in there at this time of year so lighting is entirely from an 11 watt compact fluorescent bulb (that insulated room is only about 30 square feet). Apparently, this is preferable to a little snow in the exterior room even with some sunshine [​IMG].

Cold temperatures and egg laying? I don't think that a freezing temperature matters at all as long as the birds have sufficient food. My hens were out in some recent sub-zero weather and are each laying on better than 80% of the days.

Steve

7. PARKBOY

PARKBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    Quote:What kind of timer did you use? Im running a cord out to the chicken house is there a timer available that you can just plug in? any pics?

8. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i guess iv come to my senses i have lights in the coop but idont think i need them on.because im getting 2-6 eggs aday from 13hens.4 of the hens arent laying yet so i guess id say im getting good production .we will seehow it goes been good the last 2 winters.hens layed right thru so guess i cant complain . have windows in coop so they will get light during days. probably on dark gloomy days ill put light on over feed area. thanks for replys.

9. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Quote:You can buy a regular plug in timer at most hardware/home building type supply stores. There are digital ones, or the kind with a dial, and pins that you set for time on, time off. They are the same as you would use for home security, if you are out at night.

10. PARKBOY

PARKBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    Quote:You can buy a regular plug in timer at most hardware/home building type supply stores. There are digital ones, or the kind with a dial, and pins that you set for time on, time off. They are the same as you would use for home security, if you are out at night.

Thanks alot I went to walmart and got a timer and a flourescent grow light. Now all i have to do is wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by