Lighting in your Barn?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by remist17, Nov 14, 2011.

1. remist17

remist17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    We have 7 hens that are starting to lay for the first time. Should we put a light in the house? I do not want to push the hens but want to do whats right.

also what about a heat lamp when it gets cold. I use to put one in every winter, but we moved and now the chicken barn has no electric and we would rather not.

Suggestions are welcome.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have lights in the pens. They come on at dusk and stay on a couple of hours. We get dark here now at 5pm, which really stinks. I don't use heat lamps at all during the winter, I just consilidate the birds so they have eachothers body heat.

3. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    does adding lights help out at all for the chickens or lights more for the humans?

I have 7 do you thinkg thats enough in a 6x8 barn for warmth?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Mine stopped laying once the daylight hours started decreasing, now that I put the lights in, they are laying again.

As long as the barn is dry and draft free, they'll be fine.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Having to do chores at 6 am, I need lighting to see anyhow. Some lighting comes on at 5 am. and goes off at 10 am.

Being a barn, there's no way heating would do any good, and, it just isn't needed anyhow, although I do use heated dog bowls for the water pails.

6. remist17

Apr 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Understood....

Does anyone know of solar panel lights with a timer? I can not find anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by