1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lighting my coop for winter laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Helen in the Desert, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Anyone got any suggestions? It is a wire coop open to the on all sides, if I put a light or two on it for a few extra hours will that be enough even though they can see the darkness all around? Do I need a special king of light? Would like to do some incubator hatching over the winter her in Palm Springs so it never really gets cold...I know they need at least 14 hours a day of sun to lay, just wondering how to go about fooling them.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    My coop has wire on three sides. I put a 40 watt light on a timer to come on earlier in the morning. they don't seem to mind that its dark everywhere else.

3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I put a string of christmas lights in my coop. The kind that have the lights in a tube so they can't peck at the actual light. works great.

4. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Wow [​IMG] Really? thats all it takes to fool the chicken daylight timer? I was all concerned that I would have to put in a bank of daylights [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by