Lighting question...how much is a 5 LED 4.5v battery spotlight?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lady of McCamley, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Last year we made the mistake of running an extension cord to the coop with a small floodlight and the hens knocked it down and created a fire.

This year, no electricity...have no desire to ground wire.

Just bought a set of 4, AAA battery powered muli-use spotlight lamps for gazebos, etc.

Each lamp has 5 bright white LEDs, and uses 3 AAA batteries (total of 4.5 v) per lamp.

One lamp looks pretty bright in a dark closet, could read a newspaper from it, although dimmer for my eyes.

Would one be enough for a coop that has I'm guessing has about 25 square feet total (has a top story prefab coop of 11.25 pre-fab sitting on a 4 x 5 x 1 1/2 foot floor/nest box base).

Birds nest on the poles of the pre-fab, and I would hang the LED on the ceiling rafter.

One or two lamps be enough? (Trying not to needlessly burn through AAA's).

Thanks
    Lady of McCamley

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I think we need to know what the goal is with the light. I have rope lights in my coops to keep them bright on the cloudy days ahead. They put off a lot of light and do not get hot or even really warm.
    I do have power to my coops though.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The purpose is merely to get enough lighting so the chickens continue to lay well during the winter.

I'm not worried about any heating as we live where the winters are generally mild enough.

Lady of McCamley

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I did not have any lighting added to my old barn and the coop was in the barn several years ago. I had no drop that was noticed from my group then. I really do not know that it makes a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by