Lighting Question!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by secuono, Sep 16, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I only have a white 250watt heat lamp and I've had to leave it on for a night and day. Every other night I turn it off. I may be able to get a red bulb tomorrow. But if not, I wanted to know if there are negative side effects for chickens to have lights on for extended times?

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I never had a red bulb. I used a white one and my chicks were fine. I left it on day and night until they were old enough not to need the warmth. It took them a night or so to get used the dark when I got rid of the light, but they were fine. They are now 12 weeks old and out in their coop. All heathy and doing well!! [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They are Japs and mix of adults and tiny chicks to pullets. Winter is also coming, so I'd like to keep the bulb on 24/7, but switch from white in the day to red at night.
    Glad to know they will be fine with the light on all the time.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    white is known for making them peck more, and also for messing up their sleep cycle. (I know I wouldn't want to sleep with a bright light on 24/7). I use red, and have never had a problem, and one thing I noticed about the red lights is that they seem to last WAY longer... I am still using mine after years. [​IMG]

5. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    Theres no reason 1 for a 250 watt bulb unless your trying to keep them warm... I use a 60 watt bulb on a timer goes on starting Sept 1 at 5 and off at 10 PM seems to work fine definately not 24 / 7

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They have tiny chicks and it will get COLD here in winter. There was around 3ft of snow last winter. At night now it gets cold, they seem far more active with the heat on than if I leave it off.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Cold is 20 below--cool is 40 above--chickens like cool. I'd be worried that if I kept them too warm if something like a power outage occurred they'd get too cold. While I'm not familiar with Japanese, I do know that most breeds of chickens don't mind cold if they are in a protected, well ventilated coop. IMHO a 250w lamp would be a waste of heat and money with no special advantage.

8. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    Quote:Bingo what did chickens do before we had electricity.. If the hen cant keep her brood warm you are way too cold... Id still use a timer I dont like heat lamps if I can help it Ive been on 3 or 4 disasterous fires some in barns some in homes caused by heat lamps...

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I used 90watt white incandescent bulbs in my brooders this past Spring with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by