lighting questions/ 2 roosters living with 6 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NGILBERT88, Dec 2, 2010.

1. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    I have 6 hens. I have 2 roosters. They are all together in the same coop and run. They seem to be getting along fine. Is this a potential problem?

Also I am about to close in there coop and lock them in at night. I have a timer on their light. It goes off at 11pm and comes back on at 5am. Is it ok for them to be in the dark for those six hours?

I got my first 14 eggs this week. They are all starting to lay. I have only had them for about 2-3wks. I have had the light and started feeding them laying crumbs the last 2 weeks or so.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The only problem I can see with that hen/roo ratio is if they start overmating your hens.

Of course it's fine for them to have that much dark. They sleep better. [​IMG]

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Quote:curious as to why you are lighting the coop at all. Hens need a natural down-time in the winter. They will be more productive and be in better shape if you give them a rest. They need 12-14 hours of light to lay well and that naturally occurs in spring/summer

4. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    I am using artificial lighting to get eggs. That is just what I read. These chickens were born around mid march. I got them from a guy 11/14 and he said some of the 20-30 hens he had were starting to lay and to start feeding them laying crumbs. I read that they need light to lay. I started feeding them laying food 11/17. I built my laying boxes and put my light in the coop 11/21. I got my first egg 11/22. I have been getting 3 eggs a day for the last 3 days.

I am new to this. any advice would be appreciated.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't use light, preferring to give my hens that winter break. My brahmas are good winter layers anyhow, so production only drops off; it doesn't stop completely.

As for the pullets coming into their first winter - it's been my experience that a pullet will lay in her first winter, regardless of whether you add light or not. If you are going to see a slow down it will be in their second winter.

6. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I have two roosters with 7 hens, and one hen does get over mated, I bought her a little cape and she is doing fine now. I kind of compromise with the light. I have it on a timer for a couple more hours morning and evening, but more for my convenience doing chores. So they have about 14 hours of light. I also keep a small childrens nightlight that comes on when it is dark just in case I need to go in there late.

7. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    You'll find a lot of people who like adding light and lots who don't. It all comes down to your personal preference. For me, I do add artificial light so that I can continue to get eggs through the winter. To save on your electric bill, you might want to turn the light on just in the AM. Mine comes on at 4:30am and goes off at 7am. Then when the sun starts setting the hens can come in and go to sleep naturally. I was worried that adding light at night might confuse them to where they wanted to stay outside in the yard after dark.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Overmating is the only problem I see with the ratio.As long as the second roo knows his place there should not be to much fighting.

For the light I never did it,and my red sex link hens(3) gave me 1-3 eggs a day all winter.I cut really small holes in the metal shed wall,and covered with plexiglass. Might be the breed,but I was happy to be getting so many eggs in the winter. I now have some EE's and I don't get eggs every day.I cut 2 more windows in my shed too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by