Lighting Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrankBlissett, Sep 12, 2007.

1. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    I've just put a light in our coop as fall's getting here (the first frost just missed our garden the other night!).

I bought an 18 foot, LED rope light and a timer.

How much light is sufficient to count towards their daily lighting? Currently it's enough that the coop wakes up and seems to be going about their business.

Also, how long before an increase in lighting has an effect on egg production?

-Frank

2. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Frank, you didn't mention the size of the coop. If you have a box on stilts, then the rope light would be plenty, but in a barn it would be barely a nightlight. If your chickens are wide awake and acting like it's daytime, then it is probably doing the job.

I am far from an expert, but my anecdotal experience was that the laying started when the lights stayed on until 11pm. Then again, they were coming of age, so who knows...light or maturation?? chicken or egg?? LOL

I do know for sure that my production is ALWAYS better if the hens stay up late verses the days I forget the light. I see around 25% more eggs on days after the lights were on the previous evening. Just my experience.

Good luck.
    Polychickens

3. FrankBlissett

Jan 30, 2007
    Sorry - forgot to mention that.

The coop is a 10X12 shed, about 7 or 8 feet high at the peak.

Actually, yesterday we got a good increase in the number of eggs, and today is on track for the same. If this holds that would make it between a half week and a week that it took for them to get back into shape.

It was as much my fault as the coming fall's. I had not been letting them out as early for about a week. That coupled with dusk coming sooner triggered the drop in production, I think.

The flock is 50 Isa Browns (with a few of our "pet" roos) btw. We got them from Townline Hatchery, near Holland MI as started pullets. They are very happy, healthy birds and we'll likely be increasing our flock via Townline next year.

-Frank

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I purchased 5 buff orpingtons, 2 barred rocks, 3 black austrolorps, and 5 ameraucanas from Townline Hatchery. I drove down and picked them up the first week of March. Every single chick lived and are healthy large pullets now. Really nice people too. I am currently using a light in the coop from 6:00 am until they go in at 8:30 pm. My egg supply has pretty much been the same. I have one buff orpington that quite laying for some reason, but otherwise the rest are still doing their stuff.

5. FrankBlissett

Jan 30, 2007
    Hi Heidi,

I'm sure I've got you beat for distance. I drove our minivan from the Sault to Zeeland to pick them up! Actually, the family farm is in Ionia so I drove down the day before to visit. Made for quite a sneezy ride back though. [​IMG]

we were going to order them through a local feed store, but they wouldn't be getting their birds in till July or August and we wanted birds in the spring.

As you said - very nice folk there.

-Frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by