Lighting Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Jan 7, 2013.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Anyone have any idea of what I could use for battery operated lighting? Something with a timer control... What are you all doing that don't have a power source near the coop and are lighting for egg production?

2. mongoose

mongoose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    I put a battery operated LED light in there, but couldn't figure out how to get it on a timer. I will be following this thread!
    FWIW, I don't know that the light I chose puts out enough light....June hatch, 2/5 laying. At least the days are getting longer? Oy!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
  4. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I bought an LED light set at Walmart-- they are tap-light style. There are two in a pack, and the set comes with a remote with a 100 foot range. It has worked out well for us. No timer, but it saves me from going out in the cold every time!

5. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. I saw something like that at Lowe's, but the problem is I am not home before it starts getting dark so I need something to go on before I get there.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You can use a landscape spotlight set, with a remote solar panel. It is dusk to dawn operation, so your light would go on at dark. In the winter it will barely last the 4-5 hours that you need it on, but it works. No worry about the light going off abruptly and scaring the chickens, as it will fade like the sun. Mine is a 3 light set and was purchased at Lowes for $30. Might need more than one set if your coop is bigger.

7. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. So it goes on at dark and will last 4-5 hrs? What, does it just lose juice after that? Do you have a link you could post?
    Thanks,
    Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by