1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lighting the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by masonsdad, Dec 7, 2011.

1. masonsdad

masonsdad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Schodack, NY
    Anyone have an opinion for the long winter? Light or no light?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I light the coop for a couple of extra hours in the evening. a couple of 60 watters. It's up to each to decide but I need the eggs.

I wish you lots of eggs,

Rancher

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I go with no light, but I don't really think of either way as right or wrong.

Pretty wishy-washy answer, eh? [​IMG]

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Personally I like to give my girls a break. I've heard that they lay longer if you let them take a breather every now or then. But like Clay Mud said: neither way is a right or wrong

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No light, I wish I were getting eggs.

6. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    I add a couple of hours of light in the early morning and let them go to bed with the natural sunset. I use an outdoor LED rope light to minimize energy usage and added heat.

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my mobile hen houses corralled next to the dairy barn for the winter. The lights go on about 2:00 AM and go off at 8:00 AM. By 11:00 am about 95% of the hens are done laying. At 5:00 PM the hens are on their roosts for the night.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have used light in the past, but haven't started yet this winter. Got tired of extension cords, so got my coop wired a couple of weeks ago. Just got a timer, so now I need to get a light down there. Question for those who do use lights - would you suggest gradually adding light, like 1/2 hour more every few days, or just go for all the extra hours in one shot?

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I don't use light. I've got RSLs though, which lay consistently, light or not. [​IMG]

10. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    ray's two cents :

I don't use light. I've got RSLs though, which lay consistently, light or not. [​IMG]

Whats a Rsls? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by