Lighting?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yardbird tx, Dec 7, 2010.

1. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    My coturnix quail are about five weeks old now. I have my egg layers set up in cages. I have had the light on them all there lives. Do I keep the light on them until they lay? Or do they need a brake before then? And the light is on all the time right now.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If you are expecting them to lay at 6 weeks or so, keep on the lighting until then. they should get at least 14 hours of lighting for egg production.

3. yardbird tx

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    When they start laying do I need to give them some dark time, or leave the light on all the time?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lighting 24/7 Is Actually Detrimental... 14 Hrs A Day Is All They Need. 24/7 Will Add Stress And May Cause Delays In Laying Or Even Low Laying Rates As Well As Poor Overall Health And An Artificially Inflated Electric Bill [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Unless it's cold, I provide heat lamps........But lights on 14 hours and then off...it's on a timer.

6. yardbird tx

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Ok so in my case I should put a timer on the light to give them some dark time? And they freeked a little when I turned the light off tonight for a minute. So I guess they will get over that, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by