Lighting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by qtbird, Aug 19, 2011.

1. qtbird

qtbird New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi everyone [​IMG] I have sort of a weird question. I am new to all of this and want to make sure I do what is right. My husband built a brooder box for me in our shed which has no windows. We will be getting our chicks at the end of September and wanted a good place for them that is safe from drafts until they can go to the coop. The problem is there are no windows in our shed...none. Should I add some type of light so mimic the daylight hours? I have seen online that natural light is best but if thats not available what should I do?? Really would like to use the brooder box right where it is without begging the hubby to add windows to our garden shed [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If there is no light then I would guess there is no ventilation, and humidity and ammonia levels will rise in there. Ammonia is harmful at levels low enough that people can't smell it, or so I have read. Also, you don't want it to get over 100 degrees in there. A shed can be a great place to brood but I would modify it.

3. qtbird

qtbird New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    There is ventilation...its a shed the top along the roof is vented to allow ventilation.

4. qtbird

qtbird New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Oh and we arent getting the babies until September no way will the temps inside get that hot!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by