Lighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bugkiller, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Will leaving light on in the coop 24/7 mess up there laying cycle. I have a small coop and do not plan on heating it but if we get extended periods of -20 celcius i think i will leave the 100w light on and that will help keep it bit warmer. Just wondering if it is bad for them to leave light on all the time??

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You could add light for 14 hours a day to keep them laying. Most feathered out chickens, do not need heat in the coup. In fact, it is bad for them. If the power goes out, they will not be used to the colder temps and suffer or die.

3. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    I have 16 hrs of light now to keep them laying. I am just worried they wont survive -20 or even 30 for 5 or 6 days straight

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    It depends on the breed and its' ability to adapt to cold. I have heard of birds surviving in alaska for other very cold climates just fine. Maybe someone that lives in a state near you can give better advice about that kind of temps.
    Quote:

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

My first chickens were cooped in a drafty, doorless shed with a bit of vis-screen (plastic wrap) over the fencing. The chickens were fine until the temps got to -30/-35 degrees (F). Then I did get a few (not all) frost-bitten combs.

In a non-drafty coop I wouldn't expect there to be any problem for the chickens to keep the air temp well above outside temperatures. I am heating the water, but not the coop.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

6. bugkiller

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:That makes me feel a bit better. I spent 1/2 of sunday sealing drafts. I am learning quickly there is a fine line between ventaliation and draft free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by