1. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I am new to chickens and am looking to add a light source to my coop for this winter. I have a smaller coop so I don't need anything too big. I would like my chickens to receive a few extra hours of light during the winter months as well as some heat off the bulb. My question is what kind of lights/bulbs setup do you guys have??? Anyone have pictures???

2. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome to BYC - I'm sure you will get lots of good advice.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have a large coop so I will be using an extra brood lamp for heat if needed over the perch area. I currently am suplimenting morning daylight by a 300w floodlight on a timer set to come on at 5:30 and turn off at 8:00.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    How cold does it get, to need a 300W lamp? I can just imagine those chickens, dozing on their roosts, then at 5:30 in the AM, BLAMMM, 300Ws of light exploding suddenly into their faces. What a goodmorning everyday.
    Jack

5. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Im looking to add something like 15w... Im not sure yet!

6. WillowChick

WillowChick Chillin' With My Peeps

You made me LOL. What a visual....

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    No,no,no. I am not using the flood light(300W) for a heat lamp. It is mounted on the wall at the top of my coop for supliment daylight. I have a brood lamp with a 125W IR lamp over the roosts. I have not had to use the brood lamp for heat yet. I will only use that when it gets below freezing, which happens for about 2 weeks in Jan. where I live.

8. cthockeymom

cthockeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I was wondering the same thing. This is our first winter with the girls so I don't want them to freeze! I purchased battery operated LED lights on a timer that I was planning to put in the coop this weekend. They don't add any heat so I was going to also use a light bulb. We've had a few nights of 30 degree weather but they were okay!

9. Lighting-expert

Lighting-expert New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    Hi,
    I'm in commercial lighting (for 26 years). Go to my website www.mmlights.com and click on Lights for Birds or call me 1-406-676-5055

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by