Lighting

andrew3waz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Hey,

I am wondering how many hours a day I should have me lights on in my brooder? Also should I have a red heat lamp that runs 24/7? My 25 chicks are coming Friday should I have two heat lamps?

Thanks,
andrew3waz

They will need heat constantly as babies, you don't need to provide any other extra light. It wasn't till mine were 4wks old that I started turning the heat off during the day but back on at night.

Last edited:
You need at least one heat lamp going unless your brooder temperature is roughly 95 degrees F without it. They do best if they have an area that is cooler that they can move to so they can regulate their temperature. A second light may not be necessary depending on the size of your brooder area and ambient temperature. If they are in a large enough area that they can escape the heat if necessary a second light would be possible so they don't crowd each other. Remember though they need to be able to get away from the heat if it gets excessive.

thanks,

Is it okay to have a wight light that comes on during the day and a red light that stays on 24/7 or do they both need to be red and stay on 24/7 for the first few weeks? Or does the color not matter?

Thanks,
andrew2waz

Most people believe that red is best, suppose to be more calming and mask any blood that might accidentally happen. If the chicks see blood they will attack. However I always used white and had zero issues, maybe my experience isn't the norm but to each their own.

Can I use a red light as my heating light and then have a white non heat light that masks daylight? Or is the daylight not necessary?

Thanks,
andrew3was

Thanks ChirpyChicks1,

Thanks I appreciate all the help.
woot.gif

Thanks,
andrew3waz

Back
Top Bottom