Lightly spoted brown egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tom's chickens, Sep 21, 2009.

1. tom's chickens

tom's chickens New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    I have a number of breeds, my golden commetts have been laying for a week or so. I now have goten two brown eggs with light spots on them. Don't know which chicken layed them. Am new to this. Thanks

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    What breeds do you have besides the Comets?

3. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have two red sex links that both lay different colored eggs one is a large solid light brown egg, the other one is a smaller dark brown with little speckels. why different? IDK

4. tom's chickens

tom's chickens New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    I have Black Australorps, Brahamas, Buff Orpingtons, and Plymouth Rocks. I sort of suspect the Plymouth rocks or the Australorps due to there bright comb.

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    My Australorps sometimes lay eggs with spots on them - but I don't think it happens every time they lay...

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Spots happen.
    My brahmas lay eggs with speckles from time to time. Lil' Bit's are always speckled, at the small end.

7. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I have orphingtons that sometimes have spotted eggs. They taste just as good as non-spotted:)

8. BUMPKIN

BUMPKIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Southeast Louisiana
    Sometimes the speckles are just blood spots where tiny veins have ruptured during "delivery". If they really bother you, you can gently scrape them off when they are washed. They don't make any difference to me. They still taste good, I'm not eating the shell.[​IMG]

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I like speckles.. [​IMG]

We apparently have a RIR pullet or two that are laying speckled eggs pretty consistently, though I have absolutely no way of knowing whom...nor will I ever, I suspect. Of 17 young pullets, only a few are laying as it is, so it's only going to get more difficult to know who's laying what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by