1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lights and wing clipping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snakelife, Mar 21, 2013.

1. snakelife

snakelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    My babies are about 2 weeks old I believe and they have some actual feathers now on there wings. they are in my shower now because it holds heat well with out getting roasted. they have a light on them and I wanted to know when I could remove it completely. I have also been bringing them outside and putting them in a pen and I will sit in the pen with them and let them get to know me. I have noticed they are sort of lifting of the ground now when they try to fly. when can I clip there wings? I know how to clip the wings of adult birds but not the little ones.

2. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm...it's hard to say about removing the heat lamp, not knowing where you are geographically...they can't regulate their own body temperature earlier than about 4 weeks of age, so they need the heat lamp available at different ages, etc. - starting out, 95-100 degrees for 1st week, then decreasing by about 5 degrees every week thereafter until they're at a temp that is pretty much the same as the outdoors before you move them to their outdoor space is what I've read and seen here and other places (70 degrees seems to be the most-popular number). Without that heat, they'll die. Mine are 10 days old, and they're buzzing around our brooder and flying up to roost on waterers and feeder jars, even on the top of their Flock Block. They're wily little guys and gals and I'd been wondering about the wing-clipping as well.

3. geoffric

geoffric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    I kept mine inside for 2 weeks, and then moved them outside and kept the brooder handy for another 2 weeks because I lost 50 meat birds one spring when I tried to harden them too fast.

Remember, this time of year the temperature can really dip down at night.

4. snakelife

snakelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    I would be bringing them in at night and I live in the sunny state. It pretty toasty down here. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by