1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights.com sells timered battery operated lights to chicken farmers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ConPollos, Jun 4, 2015.

1. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Problem solved! :) Lights.com sells a string of 100 warm white LED lights with a timered battery pack to chicken farmers. The sales rep I spoke to emailed me the links. He said he's knowledgeable about the chicken winter lighting issue. http://www.lights.com/d-battery-box-with-timer-p-34410.html

http://www.lights.com/warm-white-100-led-strand-for-connectable-string-light-systems-p-16823.html

I am so happy to find these because I Googled many times and couldn't find anything similar, then one of the companies I called referred me to Lights.com.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    PS The rep said you would have to turn on the lights manually on the first day, like at 3:00 or 4:00 AM, and they'll shut off automatically six hours later. After that they'll automatically turn on and off at the same times every day.

In case the other reps are not as knowledgeable about chickens, his name is Michael Barreto.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. brickabracker

brickabracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Have you used these successfully?
    I wonder if, when you change the batteries, you need to also reset the timer (so, wake up at 4am AGAIN to set it). Or only once?

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Also, how long do the batteries last...

5. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
  6. brickabracker

brickabracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    I called them, the AA box lasts a few weeks, the D box last over 2 mths. But it sucks you have to wake up at 3AM to set the timer initially, then it runs at 3AM every day. But then, when you replace the batteries, you must do it AGAIN! A pretty not-fun solution IMO.

1 person likes this.
  7. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    And are those numbers (days) figuring on cold does not allow full battery potential?

8. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Not to mention it would also depend on the number of strings you have attached. You can attach up to 4 to AA battery pack or 6 to the D pack. Of course, they also have a solar panel option with timer for $25.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by