lights for heat

claud

Songster
12 Years
Dec 12, 2007
PA
Can you use a black light all night long with adult chickens for heat? Will it bother them?

I have always just used a regular light bulb with a regular lamp. Don't know about a black light.

oops, you were asking about adult chickens, I was talking about baby chickens

Last edited:
I know I saw a post once about using lamps as a heat source but now I can't find it - tried the search.
sad.png

Never tried a black light bulb. different lights can have different effects. We use a red bulb for heat doesnt seem to mess up their schedule as much as a white light.

I can't answer your question concerning a black light but we use 60wt bulbs to keep the waterer from freezing when temps dip low in the teens, other wise lights are on a timer and are simply for my convenience as I have read here on byc, it makes our birds stronger and healthier to acclimate to the weather. So far the advice has been excellent.

Thanks for the replies. I think the red bulb was what I was looking for - not supposed to disturb them as much. I've never heated my coop and I've never lost a bird to the cold. My roo, though, has significant frostbite on his comb and I was thinking of putting a heat lamp in there to bring the temp up a bit(it's sometimes in the single digits here at night).

I have a 60w regular incandescent bulb that is on a timer, to allow for the 15-16 light hours req'd by layers. It probably helps with a bit of heat, but not much at the roost level. Therefore I use a red heat light bulb 250w which is on a dimmer switch. without the dimmer the 250watts is a lot of heat, light, and electricity. I usually have it turned down, just enough to keep the hen house comfortable. You can leave it on all day and night, during really cold spells. With it turned down like that the chickens seem to roost and sleep a good night, without the light bothering them.

I wonder what a chicken would look like under a black light? Do they glow...lol:)

A black light, also known as an ultraviolet light (UV), does have the advantage of killing bacteria, but being florescent they don't have any heat. They are often used as a bacteria/alge decontamination for drinking water supplies. Some use them in fish ponds to keep the water clear.

http://www.americanairandwater.com/

Quote from, American Society for Clinical Pathology

"Ultraviolet Lamps in Biological Safety Cabinets"

Ultraviolet radiation is often used to decontaminate the interior surfaces of biological safety cabinets (BSCs). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a UV lamp intensity of 40 ìW/cm2 at the center of the work area to ensure surface decontamination.

Back
Top Bottom