lights? in maine

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pouletdile, Sep 8, 2010.

1. pouletdile

pouletdile Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    So this is our first time with chickens & we're in Maine. When do we start using a light? Also, in the winter should the light be a heat light?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    when you have less than 14 hours of daylight per day. In Maine I would think that you may want the bulb to be a heat lamp.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    All light bulbs will emit heat. So I would watch the outside temperatures and only up the heat during the coldest times.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Depends on where you are in Maine, what kind of chickens, how many and the size of their coop. We get down to 20 below and I've never had a heat lamp or a problem but I've always raised heavyweight birds that are cold tolerant.

5. pouletdile

pouletdile Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    we have a mix, however, we do have 2 polish hens that are still very small. Our coop is 8 x 14 and we'll have 15-20 after we cull some

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    It depends...on how old your chickens are, how cold it is outside, and if you have layers. You can use a light to help encourage your layers to keep laying throughout the winter months.

A heat lamp is necessary if you feel their coop is just too cold! We will have one on at night and on the days it is bitterly cold. The wind whips through our property...and I'm sure our coops have drafts.

7. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They should produce plenty of body heat--just make sure the coop has high vents to allow moisture to escape--and that the vents are covered with hardware cloth.

8. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I live in Maine and I do not heat my coop. I tried last winter to keep two 60 watt bulbs on 24/7 which did keep the temp more comfortable and they laid a lot of eggs BUT it came at a high cost.... They had too much time to get on each others' nerves! This caused pecking and that lead to cannibalism.

You will be surprised just how hardy those birds are...if you have done your homework in getting winter-hardy breeds. My vet asked me to consider how people raised chickens in this area 100 yrs ago - without heat, of course! He successfully keeps chickens without heat. So I did what he told me to - I stopped "pampering" them and my flock thrived.

I now have an energy efficient bulb on a timer to turn on at 4:30am and it shuts off at 8am. I allow the girls to coop themselves when the sun sets. Things are going very well this year. I expect no major issues this winter while keeping this routine.

Make sure you allow them to "winterize". I keep my coop windows open until it hits 40 degrees. And make sure you have proper ventilation as woodmort said. The recipe for frostbite is cold and moisture! Keep them dry and they'll do fine [​IMG]

9. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yeah, I let mine out most of the winter as long as the snow isn't too deep--more of a problem for me than the birds--this prevents cabin fever even if there is nothing out there for them to eat they like to wander around in the snow and scratch in what dirt they can find.

10. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    all u need is a draft free coop and a dry coop and u should have no problems in the winter. mine do fine with no heat or light. i have 30 birds in a 10x12 gambrel shed for my coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by