1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights in the brooder at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RIVERA69R, Feb 4, 2009.

1. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I am expecting my first batch of babies in a few weeks 2 buff orphingtons and 2 barred rocks and i was wondering should i get a red light for at night so they wont have the bright regular light on. Or what thanks for everyones opinions

2. RIVERA69R

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I forgot to say in the brooder while there chicks

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Last time around, I had a bright light in one corner.

I found that if they got too cold, they would head for it. If they were too warm they would go to the other end... I also had a cardboard divider that would shade them from the light. many of them would pile up against the divider on the shady side since it was warm from the light but it didn't have the bright light.

Seemed to work.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I use regular white lights, but I prefer red.. but it seems that the red ones do not last as long before burning out.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I'm trying a ceramic infred heat emitter, so far it's working great. The chicks are on a more normal day and night. the are less skitsh. and sleep when it gets dark. The only problem with it is the price, but they are suppose to last 5 years.

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I only use a red light in the brooder. I never use a clear bulb for heat. I think in the beginning I read the clear could increase them picking.... don't know if that is true or not.

7. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I actually have red heat lamps on in my coop/pen..my RIR are getting to where they don't need any on but with it getting down chilling at night at present time will leave on them..my RIW are out of the coop cage and have red lamp shinning down on them in there pen separte from RIR but chicken wire inbetween them and in one of the coop cages have some Sex Link few weeks old with red heat lamp shinning on them.. rest are in my house yet newborns..Believe me my electric bill sure did raise since November and heat lamps..

8. RIVERA69R

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Quote:Yeah im leaning towards red bulb i think. You got a lot of chickens you on the outskirts of orlando

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I LIVE IN ASTATULA IN COUNTRY CLOSE TO ORLANDO..

Quote:Yeah im leaning towards red bulb i think. You got a lot of chickens you on the outskirts of orlando

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by