Lights in the chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Southernchickens, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Southernchickens

Southernchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Do you keep the light on all night or only for a couple of hours?
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it a light to extend the daylight hours? If so just a couple of hours. If it is a heat lamp over a brooder - all the time at the proper temp.
  3. Southernchickens

Southernchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    It is a light to extend daylight hours
  4. Jedalamoma

Jedalamoma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    In the winter, I leave a red heat lamp (suspended from the ceiling) on 24/7. It helps add a bit of extra warmth and extends daylight hours. No decrease in egg production--mine were still laying when we had our freak snow storm in January! (I'm in North AL, by the way). Hope this helps!
  5. joerbaum

joerbaum New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I have a 150 watt fluorescent (60 reg watts) in my 12x12 coop on a timer to get the light to 16 hours per day (its on four hours in the morning and four hours at night). The timer cost about 5 bucks, and I am getting 18-20 eggs per day from my 26 birds (6 months old). This is in a central Illinois winter with regular wind chills below zero at night. The flock is pretty much 2-3 birds from of every heavy breed McMurray Hatchery sells.
  6. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Quote:We use the timer, as well. we bought it at Christmas time. It's the type used for Christmas lights. We turn it on at 4 am, and it goes off at 5pm. We're getting over a dozen eggs/day.
  7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine is on a timer to go on in the early AM and off after sunrise. I don't like the idea of it suddenly going dark on them, I worry they will get caught off the roost, but that's probably silly as I find them on the roost an hour before sunset.

I've read a number of times that a regular light all night disturbs their rest. That's why people use red heat lamps; supposedly the chickens can't see the red light. Don't know whether I believe that or not, as red food ant water dish rims are common, they will peck a bloody spot on a chicken, and they don't like red clothing. Maybe some day someone will explain all this to me.
  8. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    During the short days of winter, I like to give my girls an approximate 15 hours of simulated daylight. My timer comes on at 4 pm and off at 9:30 pm. Morning light turns on at 6:30am and off at 9am. I'm so glad that the days are getting longer again. Our weatherman said we are currently gaining 3 minutes of daylight each day right now. Spring is coming !! (currently buried under two feet of snow in Michigan)
  9. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a little 15 watt rubber coated cfl bulb that comes on at 6am off at 8am and on at 4:30pm and off at 6:30pm. I just do I so I have light to work in before and after work and can visit with them a little. That is 12.5 hours of light a day and I get 25 eggs per week from 5 pullets.
  10. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    Mine is on a timer. The bulb is a CFL. When my hens tailed off on their egg laying this winter, I thought I would try and increase the amount of light. Didn't work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by