1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights inside coop Powered by Solar panel?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savilcr, Apr 20, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    I have been thinking about hooking the lights in my coop up to a battery with a solar panel on the roof so I would not need to run an extension cord to the house. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    I have no experience with the solar lighting, and always thought the batteries wouldn't last long from charging. So I decided to run power to my coop by first running a 1/8 cable from the house to the coop. Which is 75 feet. Then I ran outdoor 14-2 wire and used zip ties to secure it to the cable. It is wired to the electrical panel on its own circuit. The coop has two lights and three recepticals. You may want to look into this. I did it for less than $40.

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I put a solar light in my shed. Northern Tool. Less than 30$. The neighbors outdoor security light lights up the coop pretty well.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I use solar powered Christmas lights and rope lights. They are already set up to turn on at dusk and the solar rope lights are pretty indestructible.

Definitely the way to go, as you can circle them around the inner perimeter of the coop for good ambient light. You can replace the battery when need be, as well.

$15 at Target.

6. Jake1297

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    I stand corrected. I think I will get solar lights for an outside light to see from the house to the coop.

7. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    Right now I have a split coop with two separate sides, I have a Florescent light on one side and a halogen light bulb on the other, both are connected to an extension chord that has a timer on it for dusk and dawn times. this makes them lay very well but i'd like to get rid of the extension chord.

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Solar powered Christmas lights....Brilliance! I am totally going to use 'em when my coop is set in place with chickens!

9. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always read that if you're going to add artificial light, it's better to add it during the morning rather than at night (something about abruptly sending the chickens into darkness or something). So is this solar light you're talking about just for extra ambient light so you can see the chickens rather than actually boosting egg production?

10. Jake1297

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    Mine get 14 hours of light. Sun rises around 6am here, and I have a timer that turns on the coop light, and turns it off at 8pm. My egg production has always been good, except when I stressed them out with a remodel this winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by