lights on at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by choopes, Jul 9, 2016.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I am not sure where to put this question, so here goes.
    I've had a real problem with predators killing my birds at night. I finally hit on the idea of putting a light with a motion sensor. This seems to WORK. No more break-ins. Whatever it is likely an oposum,, wants darkness. The problem is the light is staying on most all the night. Will this confuse my birds? Will they miss sleep? Right now they are only 3-4 months and pullet size, so not old enough to lay eggs. But what effect will a light on all night have on my hens when they reach maturity? I have 18 pullets, coo coo moran, and white brahma, and one female goose.

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it would harm the birds but when they start laying it will be better in the winter than without light. This also means they will finish up their egg laying years sooner. It will also attract bugs which is good protein but as far as predators go I don't think this will be much of deterrent as soon as they figure out the light is no danger to them (and they will!). A good closed in coup at night is the best deterrent to predators.

3. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    My original thought was that the birds would sleep, but if a preditor came in the movement would set the light off, and the preditor would be scared off. But what has happened is that they move around so much, the light stays on. I went down there just a while ago and they were napping. It's 12:30pm

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This light is inside the coop?

The light won't keep predators away for long, if at all....
    ....and yes, the light will disturb the birds, they need an uninterrupted dark period to produce eggs.

The way to keep predators from breaking into the coop at night is to make it physically impossible for them to get inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by