lights on - how long until eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hfchristy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Our ducks stopped laying when they molted this summer (one early June, one July, one August) and never started up again. We just moved them to their winter home (close to the house) so we have electricity available, and started giving them a little extra light.

How long should I expect before we see any eggs?

Thanks!
    Christy

2. veramoomoo

veramoomoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    it can be stress or they could just be getting used to light!!!!

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Artificial light has made zero difference here. The Ladies only lay when they want! One more thing to consider , today I read a thread, I believe it was by Silly Chicken, and the thread warned against coop lighting as it is can cause fires. I really feel lights are a waste of energy and potentially dangerous, as well as unnecessary.

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Looked through Dean and Scott, and Cherry and Morris.....neither talk about additional light inducing egg-laying...although Cherry and Morris mention internal laying because of lights (which leadds to peritonitis)....

Clint

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I feel when they girls stop laying it's giving their bodies a much needed rest. If they never started back laying after molting so early in the summer. Maybe they needed some extra vitamins to get their bodies back into egg laying condition. What do you feed? my Muscovy's go into molt late summer/ fall and don't resume laying till following year. They need that time to get their bodies in peak condition for the next laying season. I really think trying to force them to lay though isn't the answer. and could do more harm than good.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I agree- they need that break. [​IMG]

7. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Well, I don't think my husband is going to go for feeding all these birds if they're not feeding us - or only feeding us a couple of months of the year. I can't seem to find the Holderread book that convinced us that ducks were a viable option, but I believe the claim made there was that with 14 hours of light, ducks will lay for as long as 18 months before needing a break. That seems excessive, but we were hoping for three-seasons of the year anyway.

I know that lights do affect ducks, since a friend who had a heat lamp in the barn for her chickens couldn't figure out why her ducks always laid all winter, then abruptly stopped at the end of March. Turned out that was when the chickens' heat lamp got turned off. Apparently it was providing enough light to the ducks, too, to keep them laying.

The one duck that molted in early June isn't the most fit duck. She was being over-mated, plucked, and very stressed out. We added another, more willing, female to the flock and everyone seems pretty happy now.
    The others started molting after the days began shortening, and since days are still getting shorter, I figured it was just a light thing.

8. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Ducks do not respond to light like chickens have been bred to.....Yes, lights may prolong laying, but rarely induce laying....If you are only interested in eggs, chickens are a better choice.

Clint

9. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    From my experience and others who have bought ducks from me, a light DOES make a difference when it comes to laying.

I keep one on a timer to give them 15 hours of daylight (add some time in the morning and some in the evening to keep it fairly even). It tends to keep mine laying throughout the winter and it helps to encourage new layers if they should be laying now and haven't started to yet.

When they molt, it can take some time for them to start up again. My harlequins finished molting back in August and just now started to lay again. And if they were over mated and underweight, they will need some recovery time. You will want to fatten them up a bit to help as producing eggs can take a lot out of them especially if they are on the thin side

10. veramoomoo

veramoomoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    i think they are right!!!!!!! thanks for letting me help!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by