1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights on in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buckrut, Jun 20, 2011.

1. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    I just got 10 week old chicks, although it being warm here in Virginia I've heard mixed signals about having some sort of light in the coop for them at night. I heard it add to their sence of security. thoughts? [​IMG]

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    not a real experienced chicken person but mine do not like the light on. I let it get naturally darker. I use a flashlight in there at night when I lock them up, because if they get used to the dusk, and then I go in and flip the light on, they seem to get all riled up.

I always let them get settled on the roosts, and then go in, use my flashlight to lock up the inside door. They are curious as to what I am doing, but they just sit there talking quietly to me. I tried using the light at first,and they would all stand back up, some tried to fly onto areas that were to small for them to safely land, and had near disasters, so learned quickly that the flashlight just keeps them all calmer, and quiet, and they are MUCH more settled and relaxed.

Some that are much more experienced probably can add more insight then myself.

3. At 10 weeks they should be and want to be out braving nature. No need for any light. Not even for security. A 3 week old or a 4 week old may want light on for security but 10 weeks,,,,, no way.

4. islandchickens

islandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Charleston
    We are in SC & decided against a light in the coop. Our 7 birds are doing great w/out it.

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ours are a week old and so we have a heat lamp on... hoping that in about 4 weeks that will all be over with. Our weather here in nova scotia (as in many places) has been off this year and we've had the wettest, coolest spring in my life. I think we went 66 day with constant raid and even though it's almost the end of june it's only in the low teens (Celsius) and normally it's in the 20's by now (that's 80's american). I think at 10 weeks they'll have no prob with no light.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We only have a light in the coop for when I keep the door shut. Otherwise, it's 100% pitch black. I keep the door closed on stormy and when we will have super cold days. I do not leave the light on during the night hours.

7. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    thank you , this is has been a great help

8. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    Mine are just over 5 weeks old, and they are terrified of the dark! I tried changing to a red cfl, the light was darker red and not as bright as the heat lamp...they wouldn't stop screaming until i changed it back. [​IMG] but i love them and don't want them unhappy so i changed it back..any ideas on weaning them off the light? [​IMG]

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Lighting really is not necessary. Think how it must be like in nature. When the sun is down, it is dark for all (big, little or new born). The light in the brooder is to provide warmth for the little ones as substitute mommy.

Only other time I use light is pre-dawn light in winter. This is to stimulate egg laying according to the experts.

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Lighting really is not necessary. Think how it must be like in nature. When the sun is down, it is dark for all (big, little or new born).

This is perfectly correct. Sometimes owners tend to insert their own emotions into the chickens. At ten weeks chickens don't need any light at all.

i love them and don't want them unhappy so i changed it back..any ideas on weaning them off the light?

Yes. Cut the light off. In a few hours they'll shut up and go to sleep. Tomorrow they won't even remember they needed a light.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by